In this post, we will be learning about how to start a Blog in 7 easy steps.
Having my Blog was one of the most important tasks of my bucket list. However, I was postponing it for a long time because of various reasons. But a day came when I set up my BlogBlog and started my career as a professional blog.
Well, if you think that it would have taken a long time to set up and start blogging, then here you go wrong, my friend. It was just a matter of time, an hour or two maybe. Yes, I mean it. I set up my fully functional and responsive Blog with a short time.
Well, you might be confused about how I was able to do the long hectic process of coding down the website in such a short time.
Well, then let me tell you that I set up my Blog using WordPress. Yes, WordPress gives you the ability to set up a fully responsive and excellent website or Blog within an hour or two.
You don’t have to learn or know to code to start a Blog. Interesting, isn’t it?
How to Start a Blog – Step by Step Guide for Beginners.
I understand that you might be curious about how to start a Blog for yourself in such a short time. If your mind is tickling with such a question, then keep reading the article till last.
I will tell you how to make a fully responsive and fantastic blog like me within an hour.
At first, let me be clear about what are the things you won’t need to start a Blog:
- Experience in Writing or Blogging
- Coding or Website development skills
- Someone to assist or teach you Blogging
- A considerable amount of money
What do you need to start a Blog?
- Passion for writing
- A suitable Domain name matching your niche
- A Blogging platform
- Web Hosting to host your Blog
With that said, let’s move towards How to Start a Blog for yourself.
Table of Contents
- How to Start a Blog – Step by Step Guide for Beginners.
- 1. Select a Niche for your Blog.
- 2. Select a suitable Domain Name for your Blog
- 3. Select the Blogging Platform:
- Your content is not in your control:
- 4. Buy Hosting for your Blog
- 5. Install WordPress on your Blog
- 6. Getting Started with WordPress
- 7. Designing your Blog layout
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. Can I Start a Blog without using WordPress?
- 2. Can I Start a Blog without hosting?
- 3. What amount would it cost to build & Start a Blog?
- 4. Can I build and Start a Blog without the knowledge of my friends and parents?
- 5. How to Start a Blog and remain anonymous?
- 6. How do I generate new ideas for Blogging to write about?
- 7. Can I use different languages on my Blog?
- 8. Can I add multiple various authors to my Blog?
- 9. How Much Money Can I Earn from a Blog?
The step remains the same for everyone, a 15-year young guy to a 60-year old person. All you need to do is follow the steps which I have explained below:
1. Select a Niche for your Blog.
The first and significant step to Start a Blog is to decide on what niche your Blog would be based on. Blogging doesn’t mean just writing and posting content on a website.
The readers would come on your website for quality content, and if they do not find what they expect, they won’t hesitate to leave.
So you must be sure about what topics you would be writing about on your Blog. Having so many categories on Blog makes search engines confused for what to rank the Blog.
It is always recommended to have a Blog on the topic you are highly interested in and know about. It would be helpful for you to write quality content and do research for new content.
Once you have decided on the niche of your Blog, you can proceed with Domain name selection.
2. Select a suitable Domain Name for your Blog
After you have determined a niche for your Blog, you can continue with domain name selection. A domain name is the name of your Blog.
Your domain name represents the brand name of your Blog. So make sure to keep it catchy, simple, and easy to remember.
People tend to forget long and hard to pronounce domain names. Always try to choose a domain name that reflects your category.
Some tips for selecting a perfect domain name for your Blog are listed below:
- Use your niche keywords.
- Be creative
- Keep it easy to pronounce
- It should be easy to remember
- Don’t go for long names
- Try to get a .com extension
To buy the domain name for your Blog, you can go with any domain registrar, they all have similar pricing with initial discounts.
Make sure to check the renewal charges of the domain before checking out.
3. Select the Blogging Platform:
With so many blogging platforms available on the internet, it’s quite confusing which Blogging platform to choose. But remember, choosing the right blogging platform is very important if you want for a long run of your Blog.
What most of the people get confused about is, whether to go for a free platform or a paid one. I know you might be thinking, why do you need to pay if the same thing is available for free, right?
Well, in such a case, let me clear you that I use a paid platform and will always recommend you to go with a paid one. It is worth paying, and you will understand why later on.
Yes, you can get a blogging platform for free and can publish your content for free without much hassle. But do remember, nothing is worth free, and there is always some catch with free things. Here are some drawbacks to these free Blogging platform.
Your content is not in your control:
Yes, you read it right. With the free platform, your content would never be in your control. The platform can remove your Blog as well as your content whenever they want, and you can’t do anything about it.
They can delete your Blog and shut it down whenever they want. It has happened with so many peoples, and there is no guarantee that it won’t happen to you.
You won’t have your custom Domain name:
On the free blogging platform, your domain name will have your platform name attached to it. For example, it would be something like www.yourblog.blogspot.com or www.yourblog.wordpress.com
Your Blog would never feel to be professional. Gone is the era when Blogger and WordPress hosted blogs were popular. People won’t even think to visit your Blog if such trails are attached to your Blog.
If you ask me which is my favorite Blogging platform, then my only answer would be WordPress.
Not because I worked for WordPress theme development company but because of the list of features it provides.
Let me show you the list of features WordPress provides over any other blogging platform-
- Free, open-source and excellent community support
- Easy to use, one-click-install and no coding knowledge or experience needed
- Thousands of Themes and plugins available for free and paid to help you have the desired layout
- Can extend easily as per the need and situation
- Always secure and updated with new and great features.
Again, WordPress offers two versions, so which one is appropriate:
The significant difference between both is that WordPress.org is a self-hosted platform where you need to buy a hosting space while WordPress.com websites are hosted on WordPress servers for free.
I hope you are clear about the Blogging platforms. Well, if you still have any doubts related to Blogging platforms and which one to choose for yourself. You can comment down below or get in touch with me via the contact page.
4. Buy Hosting for your Blog
Web Host is the place on the internet where your blog will be stored. It is the home for your Blog. You won’t be able to use your domain name without a web host. A web hosting provides online space for your Blog on the internet and is like an online computer.
There are various types of web hosting available at different prices. Let me clear you about the types of hosting and which one you should choose.
- Shared Hosting – Shared hosting is a web hosting space where multiple websites share resources. Since the resources are shared, you get web hosting space at a very lower price. If you are a newbie blogger, you can go with this plan and upgrade later on as per your requirement.
- VPS Hosting – Virtual Private Server is the next level of shared Hosting. In this Hosting, you get a virtual private server for your website, which can handle a high volume of traffic. But you don’t need it unless your site is getting a high volume of traffic.
- Dedicated Hosting – Dedicated Hosting is the Hosting where an entire server is allocated to your website. It is the most expensive Hosting, and you are allowed to use whole disk space alone.
Now, the main question arises, which Hosting should you go with. As a newbie Blogger, it is always recommended to go with the Shared Hosting plan as it is cheaper, and all your needs are fulfilled by shared Hosting.
Another critical question is, from where to buy Hosting? Well, some web hosting sellers have many cheap and lucrative web hosting plans. Some of the popular web hosting providers are GoDaddy, Bluehost, Siteground, iPage, and many more.
I will recommend you to go with Bluehost as it is relatively cheaper and you can get web hosting for your website at 3.95$ per month with a free domain.
5. Install WordPress on your Blog
Once you have bought hosting for your Blog, next, you need to install WordPress on your domain. Trust me, installing WordPress is the most simple and easy task you would have ever done.
All you need is to go to your Cpanel by going to www.yourblog.com/cpanel and log in with your credentials. There you will find a one-click WordPress installation option using the Softaculous installer.
Just fill in the required fields, and you are done.
Bingo! You have installed WordPress, and your Blog is almost ready.
6. Getting Started with WordPress
Once you have installed WordPress on your Blog, you can log in to the WordPress dashboard by going to URL www.yourblog.com/wp-admin and entering your credentials.
Next, you can change the theme of your Blog as per your desire. There are thousands of free and paid themes available over the internet.
As a beginner, I would recommend you to go with any free theme of your choice. You can upgrade to a premium version once you are familiar with the theme functionalities.
7. Designing your Blog layout
Once you have set up your Blog, next, you will need to give it an attractive and clean layout. Almost all themes come with a theme customizer with which you can easily craft a beautiful and attractive design for your Blog.
I would recommend you to get free from WordPress.org as a beginner.
It has a wide variety of free themes which are of excellent quality and comes with numerous features to provide a unique and professional look to your website.
Once you are complete designing the Blog layout, you can write your blog posts and publish them.
Congratulations, you have finally created a blog of your own without writing a single line of code.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, of course, you can. There are different blogging platforms available using which you can create and publish your Blog.
But, WordPress is the top and best CMS available on the internet.
2. Can I Start a Blog without hosting?
No, it’s not possible at all. Web hosting is the space on the internet where your website files are stored. Every website requires web hosting for being live on the internet.
If still, you want to start a Blog without web hosting, then you can take in use of Blogspot or Wix. It’s completely free. But, I will only suggest you use Blogspot for the learning Process as Google owns it.
3. What amount would it cost to build & Start a Blog?
To build & Start a Blog or Website, you need not spend much money. You need to buy domain + Hosting.
I have suggested the best and cheap ways to get these things above in the post.
4. Can I build and Start a Blog without the knowledge of my friends and parents?
Yes, of course, you can. You can Publish and make your WordPress blog private. Just don’t mention your original identity and hide it.
5. How to Start a Blog and remain anonymous?
If you don’t want your identity to be public instead, want to work is anonymous. Then at first, you should make sure that your domain has WHOIS privacy turned on hiding your identity.
Most of the time, people use a nickname for registering their domain. It is suggested to create a Unique email for your website/Blog. Make sure not to post any picture of yours on the Blog.
6. How do I generate new ideas for Blogging to write about?
Here’s A long list of topics and niches containing 103 blog post ideas that you can work upon & write about today.
7. Can I use different languages on my Blog?
Of course, you can. It’s your choice to write posts in multiple languages. But always keep in mind, your viewer choice whether to read them or not.
Yeah, You can. WordPress allows every website/blog flexibility to be run by multiple Authors or Admins.
You can add N number of Author or Admins from Author Section.
Well, there is no limit to it. It is entirely dependent on your hard work and dedication. Your choice of interest matters too. Your contents and their quality. The ad networks you are using on your Blog or Website, Strategies of your Blog, and other different things.
I hope you liked the article. If you still have any questions or queries, you can contact me via the comment box below; I will try my best to solve your queries.